- 350g butter, at room temperature
- 350g caster sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 350g self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 50g cocoa powder
- 4 tbs milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C and line 3 eight inch pans with parchment paper (or grease and flour). In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter for several minutes until creamy.
- Add in the sugar, then the vanilla and then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Sift in the flour and salt and fold by hand to combine. Put half the batter in a separate bowl and sift in the cocoa powder and two tablespoons of the milk. Stir in 2 tablespoons of milk in the vanilla batter.
- Put the two batters into separate piping bags. Pipe a ring of chocolate around the outside of two of the tins, then pipe a ring of vanilla. Keep alternating until the pans are full. In the third pan start with the vanilla first.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes (12-15 minutes for a small cake). Run a knife around the edge of the cakes and invert onto a cooling rack.
- Once the cakes are cool frost with your desired frosting. For layering action see this post.