Easy Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- 8 to 10 medium russet potatoes (about 3 lb.), peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, if desired
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup hot milk
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Add 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover loosely and boil gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes break apart easily when pierced with fork. Drain well.
- Return potatoes to saucepan; shake saucepan gently over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes to evaporate any excess moisture.
- Mash potatoes with potato masher until no lumps remain. Add butter, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; continue mashing, gradually adding enough milk to make potatoes smooth and creamy.