- 1 pound lean Ground Beef [93% lean or leaner]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup carrot, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking the meat into crumbles with a wooden spoon until the meat has started to brown.
- Stir in the carrot, onion, celery and garlic. Sauté for another 5 minutes until the veggies become translucent and the meat is cooked through [you could drain the fat from the skillet at this step, but if you use lean Ground Beef there won’t be much to drain!].
- Pour wine into the skillet and stir to scrape up any brown bits.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring until combined. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with cooked pasta and Parmesan cheese on the side.