- 4 large Golden Delicious, Gala or other firm flesh apples (1 3/4 lbs) (800 g)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 2 extra large eggs – at room temperature
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter – melted and slightly cooled
- powdered sugar as garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Peel, core, and quarter the apples. Then using the slicing attachment of a food processor cut them crosswise in 1/8″ slices. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk at medium speed until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is pale and thick, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Fold the flour into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon, until just incorporated. Fold in the milk, then the butter and finally the apple slices. Be sure not to over mix. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Pack the apples into the mold and flatten the surface of the cake with the wooden spoon.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the floor of the oven. Transfer the pan to the middle rack and continue baking for 50 to 55 minutes until golden-brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven, and run a paring knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the ring of the mold. Cool in its mold to room temperature. Unmold the cake and transfer to a serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- Cook’s note: The cake can be baked up to 6 hours ahead and kept in its mold at room temperature in a cool place. It is best eaten the day it is made.