Roasted balsamic chicken with sautéed mushrooms and thyme. This healthy chicken recipe is out of this world! Easy to prepare and totally weeknight friendly.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 2 large ones cut in half)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, smashed (or 2 cloves raw)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, fresh
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoons fresh chopped chives (or parsley)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Heat the butter and olive oil on medium-high heat in a skillet. Add the chicken breasts season each side with salt and pepper and cook 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to an oven-safe baking dish and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the juice run clear.
- When 10 minutes of baking time remain, prepare the balsamic mushrooms. Heat the same skillet used to brown the chicken over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute before adding in the roasted garlic; cook for an additional minute. Add the balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, and chopped thyme. Heat the balsamic vinegar through for 1 minute then add in 1/2 cup of water. Continue to cook until the liquid reduces to about half. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Serve warm with chopped chives or parsley.