This recipe makes just enough for a few dishes as you generally don’t need very much of it each time.
- 2 teaspoons ground star anise
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- ¾ teaspoons ground sichuan peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Note: If you have whole spices, dry roast them in a skillet over medium high heat for about 4-5 minutes, tossing regularly to prevent scorching, until highly aromatic. Allow the spices to cool and then grind them to a fine powder in a spice or coffee grinder. Exact measurements aren’t necessary. Generally you use about double the amount of the whole spice to yield the equivalent in ground form.