Make-ahead breakfast burritos are loaded with your favorite fillings. Eggs, sausage, bacon and tator tots are topped with ooey gooey cheese, and fresh vegetables. Just make up this easy recipe and toss them in the freezer. Pop them in the microwave in the morning for an easy grab and go breakfast.
- 1/2 (16 ounce) bag of frozen tater tots
- 1 pound applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 8 ounces O Organic shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Prepare tater tots according to package directions. I prefer mine in the oven until crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare bacon. I love my bacon in the oven. 400ºF on a baking sheet. Cook 15-25 minutes or until desired doneness is reached. Remove from oven. Allow to cool and chop into bite size pieces.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the breakfast sausage. Be sure to break the meat up with a spatula as it cooks. Once cooked completely, drain (if necessary) and set aside.
- In a large bowl (I use an 8-cup measuring cup) combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk until completely combined.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and stir occassionally until the eggs are scrambled and no liquid is left in the pan, about 5 minutes. Do not cook until they are completely dry, or they will be very dry in the burrito.
- To assemble burritos: lay one burrito on the counter. Add about 1 ounce of cheese. Top with a sprinkle of tomatoes and parsley. Add sausage, bacon, about 1/2 cup egg mixture and a big spoon of tater tots.
- Fold the outer edges into the burrito and hold in place with your middle, ring and pinky fingers. Gather the edge of the burrito closest to you with your thumb and index finger. Fold the burrito over and around the filling, tuck the edge under the filling. It should look like a burrito with one side open now. Pull the rolled portion of the burrito snug as you continue to roll the rest of the burrito, folding in the sides of the untucked side like an accordion a few times until the burrito is closed.
- Place the burrito seam side down on a sheet of foil or plastic wrap. Wrap the burrito snuggly and place in a one-gallon freezer bag. Repeat until all burritos are in the freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat directions: Remove foil or plastic wrap from the burrito and wrap with a paper towel. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- If you would like to serve these immediately, wrap in foil and place on a baking sheet in a preheated 400ºF oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
- You can make the bacon, sausage, tater tots and eggs ahead. The burritos are best with room temperature ingredients, which eliminate the steam that can make burritos soft and soggy. No Bueno! <- No good.
- I toss the bacon and the tater tots in the oven at the same time and prepare the sausage and eggs on the stovetop to save time.