Gluten Free Beignets
- 1 cup warm water (110° F)
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 package rapid rise yeast
- 1 large egg (or 1 Tbs. vegetable oil + 2 Tbs. water + 2 tsp. baking powder)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (see directions below for making non-dairy evaporated milk or use Nature’s Charm Coconut Evaporated Milk)
- 3 3/4 cup gfJules™ All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. shortening (e.g. Earth Balance® Shortening Sticks)
- high heat vegetable oil for frying
- confectioner’s sugar to dust Beignets
- Combine the warm water, sugar and yeast; stir and set aside to activate the yeast. Allow mixture to sit until it becomes frothy, at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together the egg and milk. Add 1 cup of the gfJules™ Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and the salt. Beat until integrated.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean surface or pastry mat lightly dusted with gfJules™ Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. Roll gently into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle.
- Vance’s Dari-Free