Healthy Whole Grain Carrot Coconut Morning Glory Muffins
Healthy Morning Glory Muffins packed with carrots, coconut, walnuts, raisins, and whole grains!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or you can use whole wheat pastry flour/white whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons olive, coconut, or canola oil
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (or you can use sweetened)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners and spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl sift together flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- Beat brown sugar, vanilla, oil, egg, and egg whites together until creamy. Add in almond milk and beat again. With a wooden spoon fold in carrots, applesauce, raisins. Mix in flour mixture until just combined — do not over mix! Fold in the walnuts and the coconut flakes.
- Spoon batter into the liners and bake for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Oven temperatures vary so you may find you need more or less time depending on the flours you use.Cool completely on a wire rack.