Morning Pecan Casserole
- 1 8 – ounce package brown-and-serve sausage patties
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 16 – ounce loaf raisin bread, cubed
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups light cream or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or maple-flavored syrup
- In a medium skillet brown the sausage patties on both sides over medium-high heat. Drain off the fat; cut patties into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, spray a 3-quart rectangular (13x9x2-inch) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place bread cubes in dish. Add browned sausage pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour over bread and sausage, pressing bread and sausage into the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- For topping, in a bowl combine brown sugar, pecans, butter, or margarine and maple syrup. Drop by teaspoonfuls over top of egg mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Makes 10 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 10, chol. (mg) 173, carb. (g) 49, Fat, total (g) 28, cal. (kcal) 488, sodium (mg) 477