- 1 head cauliflower, quartered, cored and cut into medium florets (about 6 cups)
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup half-and-half, warmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the cauliflower, potatoes and salt in a large pot with just enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- Return the mixture to the cooking pot, stream in the half-and-half, and mash with a manual masher until chunky smooth. Stir in the butter, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve very hot with additional pats of butter, if desired.