- 4 (about 100g) long red chillies
- 3 (about 10g) red birds’ eye chilli
- 6 garlic cloves (about 30g) garlic, peeled
- 150ml water
- 100g white sugar
- 15ml white vinegar
- 15ml fish sauce
- 4g salt
- 5g potato starch or cornstarch mixed with 5g water
- Place chillies and garlic in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water, sugar, vinegar, fish sauce and salt. Add the chilli and garlic mixture and simmer until sugar dissolves. Then turn heat down and simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavours develop.
- Whisk in the potato starch mixture and gently simmer for another minute.
- Allow to cool, then store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.