These cute, colorful and extremely delicious Apple Sandwiches, layered with Peanut Butter, Granola and Chocolate Chips are perfect for kids, they are highly nutritious, and easy enough to inspire kids to make their own lunch!
- 2 small apples, cored and cut crosswise into ½-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3 tablespoons peanut or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons semisweet dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons granola
- cinnamon sugar (optional, to sprinkle)
- soft cheese like Brie (optional)
- honey or caramel syrup (optional)
- Remove the core from the apples, then slice them into thick rounds.
- Now take a smaller cookie cutter that can fit inside the sliced apples, and remove a circle of fruit from the center. You can use any shape that you like, stars, circles, squares are all fun cut-outs, so your peanut butter can peak out through the small opening in the sandwich.
- Brush the apple slices lightly with some lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
- Spread one side of half of the apple slices with peanut or almond butter then sprinkle with chocolate chips and granola. Top with remaining apple slices, pressing down gently to make the sandwiches.
- Serve immediately, or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.