Kid-Friendly Porcupine Meatballs (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free)
This kid-friendly, adult-pleasing recipe is pure comfort food. Easy to make—with the kids helping!—dish that can easily work for a weeknight.
- 1 lb ground beef (I used ground venison; ground turkey or ground chicken may also be used)
- ½ cup uncooked rice (see more info in notes below)
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic or celery salt
- 2½ cups tomato juice (see notes)
- 4 cloves
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (optional; amount to taste if used)
- 1 tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce (see notes for substitutes)
- dash or two of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine the meatball ingredients and shape into meatballs; set aside.
- Combine the sauce ingredients right in a large, deep skillet to make the sauce.
- Add meatballs and stir until all meatballs are coated with sauce.
- Bring sauce to a boil over medium heat; stir if needed. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover skillet. Simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring two or three times. After the last stir, add any other ingredients that are going into your skillet supper.