The deliciousness of sloppy joes, all without needing any buns! Grain-free winning! A one-skillet meal that is incredibly kid friendly! Anything that has ketchup and is topped with crispy tater tots is sure to win over any child under the age of 99. Gluten, dairy, egg, peanut and tree nut free–this is also great for those with food allergies and dietary restrictions that want a filling casserole without a lot of work.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- One 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce*make sure this is gluten free, as some are not!
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- One 1 pound 12 oz pound package of frozen, seasoned tater tots *see note
- Take the tater tots out to thaw while you prep the rest of the dinner.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil to medium heat. Add the chicken, onions and bell pepper and cook until the chicken is done and the vegetables are soft. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the tater tots and mix well.
- Use ¾ to the entire bag (depending on how much you want) of the tater tots on top.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the tater tots are cooked through. You don't have to worry about the sauce, since you cooked the chicken through already, you're just letting those flavors meld.
- Once the tots are cooked, turn on your broil and move the casserole pan to the top shelf. Allow the broiler to really crisp and brown your tots to your liking.
- Serve with additional ketchup, if desired. Leftovers keep well for several days in an air-tight container.