“This is my favorite recipe. My grandmother and mother used to make this when I was a child. It is absolutely wonderful! You can substitute 7Up® for milk in the glaze.”
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 1 cup lemon-lime carbonated beverage (such as 7Up®)
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Generously grease a fluted tube pan (such as Bundt(R)).
- Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until creamy and smooth; add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir flour, 1 cup at a time, blending well after each addition until batter is smooth; stir in lemon extract. Mix lemon-lime beverage into batter and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan immediately.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla extract together in a bowl using an electric mixer on medium until glaze is smooth. Pour glaze over warm cake.