- 95 grams all-purpose flour (3/4 cup)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 75 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature (1/3 cup)
- 60 grams caster sugar (1/4 cup)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 170C / 325F. Butter a 5-inch round tin and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Whisk well to evenly distribute the baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar and lemon zest on high speed until light and fluffy, scrapping down the sides occasionally. Add in egg and 1 tablespoon of flour mixture and beat on medium speed until incorporated. Beat in the lemon juice on low speed. Add in the flour mixture and beat on low speed until almost incorporated. Use a rubber spatula and finish mixing in the flour mixture.
- Scoop the cake batter into the prepared tin and using the spatula, spread the batter to the edges evenly. Sprinkle with the caster sugar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack completely before serving.