“This is an old recipe I have for a white cake, and it tastes very good.”
- 2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Measure sifted cake flour, baking powder, and salt; sift together three times.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating only until meringue will hold up in soft peaks.
- Beat butter until smooth. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Mix in flavorings. Add meringue, and mix thoroughly into batter. Spread batter in a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan which has been lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This cake may also be baked in two 9 inch round pans for 30 to 35 minutes, or in three 8 inch round pans for 25 to 30 minutes.